Thursday, August 6, 2015

Vacation Time

Vacations are not what they used to be.  Pre-baby vacations consisted of foreign travel with all i needed packed in a duffle bag.  These days, vacations requiring extensive planning for what to do with our two dogs and one toddler.  Our luggage takes up the back of our SUV and it is mainly for the pups and child.  We planned a quick vacation to Carmel Valley, where we left Riley and the pups with their grandparents for a couple days so Chad and I could have a quick get away in Santa Cruz.

While in the valley, we visited the Monterrey Bay Aquarium with the whole family.  That is always fun and now that Riley is a little older, she has some great reactions to the sea creatures.  



Although leaving behind by three babies was a little stressful, it was nice getting to relax (and sleep in) in Santa Cruz.  We stayed at the Dream Inn, and while it is a little pricey, the view is to die for.  It is the only hotel on the beach and it is conveniently located next to the wharf and boardwalk.


(View from our balcony)

Chad and I are normally creatures of habit and like to visit the same places we've already been, especially when it comes to food.  Normally we would go to Lillian's Kitchen for their Sunday Gravy on polenta.  However, this time we changed it up a bit.  Although we went to Pizza My Heart on Pacific Ave (an old stand by for me from when I used to visit my friend at college), we ventured out and also tried a little hold in the wall cafe.

The little gem is called Cafe Brasil and I was originally drawn there to try their Acai bowls.  While their Acai bowls looked delicious, once I looked at their menu, I knew I had to try one of their Brazilian dishes.  I had the Orfeu Negro, and it was delicious.  It was stewed black beans over baguette slices, two poached eggs and melted mozzarella on top.  It made me think of a "Brazilian eggs benedict" and I loved every bite of it.  Chad ordered the Galo Pinto which was black beans and rice with two eggs, fried plantains and a special Costa Rican sauce.  His dish was also delicious, but I preferred mine.


(Cafe Brasil)

I also found this cute house around the corner from Cafe Brasil.  The house had a little matching free library out in front.  I love the sun detail in the apexes of the roof.




All in all, it was a good vacation and now it is time to start saving for the next.



No comments:

Post a Comment